Boulevard Baptist Church

Boulevard Baptist Church began as a mission Sunday School of LaBelle Place Baptist Church in the home of A. P Taylor, on Humber Street and Waldorf Avenue, in the spring of 1905.  George W. Sherman would lead in the preaching services.  Seventeen members were added to the fellowship during revival services in June of 1905.  In the fall of that year, the Sunday School moved to Oakland Avenue School House with C. C. Young preaching.
It was at a tent meeting on a lot adjoining this school on June 10, 1906, that Boulevard Baptist Church was formally organized with twenty-seven charter members.  A building site was then secured on the northwest corner of Taylor Street and what is now South Parkway at a cost of $630.00.  Construction on the new house of worship began the last week of July 1906 and J. R. Wiggs was called as full-time pastor.  The first service in the new church building was held on August 19, 1906 and membership began to grow steadily from twenty-seven to seventy-five in the first twelve months.
Early in 1913, the growing church purchased a lot at Humber and South Parkway to construct a new sanctuary, which was completed and dedicated by J. H. Wright on February 21, 1929.  Another new sanctuary was built during Dr. C. M. Pickler's ministry, and on December 3, 1967, Boulevard Baptist Church moved to 2124 Holmes Road. Boulevard Baptist Church at the location on Holmes Road owned approximately twelve acres of land, a sanctuary, educational and fellowship building and a parsonage.
In 1994, a five-acre tract of land was purchased on Church Road East In Southaven, MS, and in March 1997, under the leadership of Pastor Lonnie Riley, construction began on the present 21,000 square foot facility.  Boulevard Baptist Church held it first services on August 31, 1997 and dedicated the new building to the Lord from November 16-19, 1997.  On July 30, 2000, the funds were raised through the "Ready, Lord!" Campaign to pay off the indebtedness on the new building, with a note burning celebration held on that day.
In May 2001, under the leadership of Pastor Don Coleman, a Long Range Planning Committee brought several recommendations before the church concerning the future of Boulevard Baptist Church.  Among the recommendations was an educational building to be attached to the back of the sanctuary building.  This educational building was to include a choir room, a youth room, and much needed Sunday School rooms.  On May 19, 2003, the new facility was opened and dedicated.

Now under the leadership of Pastor Al Pihringer, the story continues...
Making Much of Jesus